Introducing the New Firefox: Firefox Quantum

It’s fast. Really fast. Firefox Quantum is over twice as fast as Firefox from 6 months ago, built on a completely overhauled core engine with brand new technology stolen from our advanced research group, and graced with a beautiful new look designed to get out of the way and let you do what you do best: surf a ton of pages, open a zillion tabs, all guilt free because Firefox Quantum uses less memory than the competition. Your computer will thank you.

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2017/11/14/introducing-firefox-quantum/

Downloading right away. I love Chrome but it’s a huge memory hog.

I love what Mozilla is doing lately.

I love Firefox Focus on Android. So light and fast.

firefox latest browser is really speedy and not such a memory hog like before.

I will try it out for a week as my main browser. So far I have noticed ram usage is at 20% lower than Chrome and with like 10 tabs open the CPU fan is surprisingly silent. With Chrome once I open one of Gmail account and that’s it. 10 tabs and the fan will be whining by now.

I like that it loads pages a tad bit faster than Chrome. So let me use it some more probably its playing nice for now.

I can’t wait for the Android version. We need some smoothness in Firefox for Android. Scrolling is way too jerky compared to chromium-based browsers.

According to Mozilla, updates to the Android version are scheduled for early next year with the release of version 60. If that is anything like the desktop version then Chrome will have some serious competition.

Interestingly enough Alibaba’s UC Browser was pulled from the Play Store today for unethical practices.

I thought that next year sounded like a century from now but then I remembered… IT’S NOVEMBER!! Where the heck did the whole year go!?

I’m not surprised about UC browser using unethical practices. That’s the Chinese for you - - always going to the dark side to get ahead of the curve.

:joy::joy::joy:

Super cool endorsement.

Firefox Quantum plus a linux workstation equals blazing speeds! This is dope!

So what’s the update on Firefox Quantum, for those who hopped on board? I’m still stuck between Chrome and Opera.

This Firefox update is massive, a fluid restyled UI, impressive speeds and RAM friendlyScreenshot from 2017-11-19 13-08-44

Firefox focus is fast but too much has been stripped from it. I miss the autoplay prevention that’s in the full Firefox. On Friday I opened a huge article on a news site and somewhere near the bottom it had those videos that auto play and it started playing without sound. Somewhere in the middle of the article I realized the browser had eaten up almost 200MB data. I scrolled down and found the offending video and it was playing some stupid talk show Playlist. Firefox focus wasn’t even showing that I was viewing a noisy tab. I uninstalled it immediately.

The highlight is an updated browser engine that is claimed to be as fast as Chrome while remaining memory efficient. Mozilla have also bundled in a new UI, multi process support and a new API for browser extensions.

Autoplay is for the devil.

This is a common feature(based on HTML5 standard) in the latest releases of Chrome and all top browsers out there(save for Opera,a fork of Google Chrome). You could have easily disabled though!

Compared to Chrome, Firefox resource requirement becomes trivial hehe

i been using firefox quantum for a while now and i must admit its response so far is quite impressive,page loading speeds are great and its not heavy on the available computing resources.

Very nice upgrade. Really fast especially for older computers. Enable webrender in about:config to make it faster. Although of course its still in development.