Impact Of underclocking mobile SoCs' on smartphone Performance

Someone help me understand something here; while i was on the internet following on xiomi mi 6 specs and rumours came across this article which stated that it’ll come with underclocked soc that is Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 so my question is does it have a major impact on performance and wat are the omissions in this kind of soc coz am kinda confused coz the same site claims mi 5’s 820 soc was also underclocked but it scored high in benchmark tests and was able to put up against other flagships

If I was to speculate this has to do with finding the balance between performance and battery life. I doubt that the average user would feel the drop in performance.

Why would a company underclock a soc which is already built to save battery :battery: in the name of the same purpose like 835 is speculated to be best soc both on performance and battery ever built

From the previous generation Mi 5 we already know that underclocking does not hurt performance on the device. Based on that, I assume that this allows the manufacturer to either benefit from increased battery life or fit a smaller battery to save on weight and/ or costs.

You don’t need all that power, unless you’re planning to use your phone as a server. Just enjoy the better battery life.

Basically, you can hardly notice a drop in performance of such a high-end SoC. That’s unless you live to benchmark smartphones. User experience will be pretty much the same. Even huge games won’t suffer noticeably unless the underclocking is extreme which is unlikely.

There are so many variables to consider with over/under clocking. Qualcomm say that the SD 835 is optimized for better battery life which I don’t deny. This leaves Xiaomi and their hardware choices.

They could have underclocked the already optimized SoC to eek out just a bit more battery life because they think the SD 835 is TOO MUCH and would rather make it slower to conserve the small(ish) 3,350 mAh battery. (doubt that because the display eats much of any Android smartphone battery anyway)

They could also have done it because the other components of the phone eg. data buses cannot keep up with the SD 835 hence unable to fully utilize its potential (more likely.)

The underlying point of all this is, why keep it if you cannot use it?