IBM To Acquire Red Hat, Completely Changing Cloud Landscape

IBM To Acquire Red Hat, Completely Changing The Cloud Landscape And Becoming World’s #1 Hybrid Cloud Provider

• Most significant tech acquisition of 2018 will unlock true value of cloud for business
  • IBM and Red Hat to provide open approach to cloud, featuring unprecedented security and portability across multiple clouds

IBM Changes Cloud Landscape with Red Hat Acquisition

• Deal accelerates IBM’s high-value business model, making IBM the #1 hybrid cloud provider in an emerging $1 trillion growth market
  • Acquisition will be free cash flow and gross margin accretive within 12 months, accelerate revenue growth and support a solid and growing dividend

• IBM to maintain Red Hat’s open source innovation legacy, scaling its vast technology portfolio and empowering its widespread developer community

• Red Hat to operate as a distinct unit within IBM’s Hybrid Cloud team

It will be good to know how much autonomy Red Hat retains over their open source projects.

Agile is the new way, enterprise is dead. https://hackernoon.com/enterprise-is-dead-long-live-agile-c4758f9049ff

We’ve been repeating that myth for the last ten years. Agile just doesn’t scale up at the enterprise IT level.

I’ll even cite Windows 10 where Micro$oft replaced their QA team with Insider Preview. Only power users dare try Insider Preview and no self respecting sysadmin will run alpha software in a production environment.

The quality of updates and bugs with every update is evidence enough.

This is a Hybrid/Private cloud play…For IBM to reclaim the enterprise cloud marketshare they need to improve and evolve their product offering esp to customers who want the benefits of public cloud but still retain access,control and compliance that on prem provides…Thats Private/hybrid cloud,Redhats products fit well in this category and could help IBM capture more marketshare from Microsofts Azure,Google Cloud and AWS…Also remember IBM’s cognitive division(Watson&Medical) is not doing so well so this is their last ditch attempt to rejuvenate their cloud play.The advantage is IBM has a presence in so many markets so they could easily integrate and/or resell Redhats products to improve their own bottomline as well as improve their enterprise cloud products which havent been doing so well.

But the insider program has been a massive success in my opinion.Sysadmins have a choice of what branch of software they can deploy on their environments considering we now have targeted and broad deployment rings that are very stable.By the time software gets to those two rings,its been literary ironed out over months and in different devices across the globe. Case in point,my daily driver on my laptop is on the skip ahead Insider ring while my home desktop is on the targeted release…The desktop side is very stable and i have had not even a single issue while the skip ahead has had a number of issues as an alpha software but its thanks to guys like me testing alpha software on a daily that the insider team is able to get telemetry that identified device specific bugs and faults that they can resolve before the next release.I have to admit the Current October release has been messy but luckily it is still in the release preview ring and not on the targeted or broad deployment rings so those in production environments are yet to be affected by the identified bugs.