GOOGLE and Partners Invest USD 100M for Cheaper BroadBand in Africa

Only few locations are served with HFC, and FTTH. Unless coverage reaches 80% in all towns, we will always complain, and not being able to switch services when you get fed up.

thing is the Total Addressable market locally has not grown much,enough to convince ISPs to invest and provide such infrastructure and services…FTTH will remain to be a small market,4G on the other hands has the ability to provide such services at scale

I agree, and btw most Kenyans dont live in urban areas and this makes it even harder for them to get FTTH, this is where 4G comes in handy. The downside of depending on radio is that its a bit more expensive coz it still depends on fibre for connectivity, n thus the extra cost will still be passed down to the consumer. But this can be overlooked by having a number of players in the field

Prices are competitive? I don’t think so. Internet is still expensive and quality is meeh.

the advantage with 4G/5G is latency comes down drastically and bandwidth is higher while signal strength from towers to devices is much stronger(with the TV spectrum available),able to even pass through walls and cover a huge radius of over 5km per Base station.Safaricom are boosting their infrastructure and could maximize the utility of its 4G infrastructure by offering MVNO services and support to new entrants(like Airtel with its 3G infrastructure) especially in other towns around the country.Yes,the internet is still more expensive but the quality is improving,competition will address pricing in the long run

Yes, More players will lower prices but so will MVNOs. I do believe the government can subsidize internet costs drastically by removing taxes on carrier products - airtime, bundles etc. Lower prices will result in a near immediate uptake of carrier services.

Subsidies seem like musical chairs - taxing citizens then using our taxes to subsidize carrier costs is less efficient than just removing the taxes altogether. This can be done for a brief period to give carriers time to develop their network - 3 years, 5 max - then taxes come back. The agreement of course would be carriers IMMEDIATELY lower their price offerings.

Safaricon would be the one to watch closest lest it adds hidden charges for valueless services to continue making more money.

I believe our internet is cheap on quantity but expensiVE on quality good example is unliminet Modem offers a lot ib terms of data but the network coverage is not upto standards. I am one person who has refused to quit the unliminet bandwagon because it serves my needs and where i am the 3.75G ya airtel is faster than safaricom 4G but when hit with downtime or network problem my connections trail. What am looking foward to is one day instead of 4G or 5G these operators to offer wifi

How is 4G slower than 3G? Even at it’s worse, 4G is still superior than 3G. As long as I have a 4G signal, even one bar, that thing does wonders.

I dont understand why its slower in kisumu but trust me got friends who have switched from safaricom to airtel after seeing my browsing speed though not tested using an app but based on user experience.

May not be 4G per say but its just labelled as 4G. Back when they started, Safaricon re-labelled their network from HSPA (seeon on phone as H) to 4G if you had an iPhone (didn’t show on android based phones) so this might be the case in Kisumu that @Pascal is talking about.

Speedtest can’t be relied upon in kenya due to whitelisting of the site by ISPs - & it’s app get optimum speeds during ‘4G’ tests while you struggle to download a 10MB whatsapp video

#31 is highly reliable. You always compare it Netflix’s What you get is what you’ll receive 95% of the time while browsing. On Safaricom I always get over 40mbps and trust me, I do a whole GB of download in less than 5 minutes most of the times. Given that you cannot permanently hook the phone to 4G, the BTS that is serving you might have been a 4G BTS but the signal is weak so it falls back to 3G so you end up getting 3G speeds when hooked up to a 4G BTS. I suppose it’s the same that @Pascal is experiencing

And UG as seen by that guy who said he pays $350 for 1mbps.