Electric Vehicles in Nairobi, Kenya

Yeah…this happens a lot…has happened to two of my friends…problem is that in kenya when we see a perfect exterior we automatically assume that the mileage is okay…and that is because we are used to seeing old, dented cars…some are genuine, most are not…it all depends on how well you do your research…so you are left with three options, buy new at the dealer or import, buy at a yard here in the country and atleast have the chance to properly inspect the car or import a used one after some good research and hope for the best.

Your numbers, i.e price and mileage are waaaay off but i’ll finish that there…because 3m for a 2013 prius…unless its new…plus ati 8 year old cars have atleast 700k mileage??aii…tonnes of variables
between owners…
& i’m not comparing an r35 to an evo let alone an STI…who would??that’s even laughable and shouldn’t even be a point of discussion unless you are talking about those 550+ bhp tuned ones that are drag & track focused …that’s why i specifically said sport cars for the evo and STI, super sport cars for the R35
Battery technology is the biggest let down for HV and EV…that’s a fact…but look at the cars coming out right now…cars being able to do 400+ km on a single charge e.g hyundai kona/KIA e-niro…that is 2018/2019…by 2023 you’ll find that the EV with the least range will probably be 300km…and that is those small smart cars for city driving. This is the future basically…unless hydrogen production, transportation and storage is perfected or another fuel source is found.
Always remember that you are a consumer…so you should always root for every advancement made no matter how small because it betters you and future generations.

Stop being friendly with the truth.The average yearly mileage for a town car is 100-120k km. That’s a known fact. A commercial vehicle or an out of town car does a lot more.

• Edit 10 - 12k mileage so 80 - 100k on an 8 year old car. That’s my bad.

Secondly I calculated that figure of 3 million based on a certified dealer and official KRA figures. A clean 2013 Prius costs that much. Give me your figures and we can debate.

But you just did?!

Citation required. Battery technology hasn’t made a significant leap in 50 years.

And anyway my 30 year old jalopy can beat that mileage on the highway. Why should I spend more on technology that’s not ready for the market?

A pretentious statement if ever there was one. Those tiny Uber Marutis are cheaper and more efficient than a second hand Prius that’s likely due for an overhaul.

Mate put the emotion aside and come back with facts. EV’s were inadequate when Henry Ford started mass producing petrol powered cars, and they are even more irrelevant now.

As we close 2018, tiny and efficient petrol engines are still the future.

http://www.carimports.co.ke/car/sdj7OLAZKanzv/TOYOTA/PRIUS/2013/#TOYOTA_PRIUS_2013_car_Photo[gallery1]/10/
Check the link above…Thats a 2013 prius with 34000km…grade 4…go through the page…they are plenty…about 400+ to choose from…i dont see the 3 million price tag

50 years??the first lithium ion batteries to be produced were in 1990’s…leave alone that…i think it was first thought of in the late 70’s…50 years have not passed since then…unless your comparison comes from how long your phone keeps charge and not electric vehicles…just do some research on the EV and HV of today and their range…not what you have heard around.
And please compare economy figures between cars before assuming…small engines are efficient yes, depending on how you drive them, and i can attest to the fact that when hybrids were starting they were just as efficient as a small engine cars…but now its very different…small engines with hybrid capability are waay more economic.
na hakuna emotions hapa, just facts…problem is that you cant accept that the future is electric…i get it…you and most of the world think so…time will tell though.

Hahaaa…your research is laughable…there were EVs at that time yes, but you cant compare with now bana…thats just plain ignorance :rofl::rofl:

2 million at the port for a grade four car? Cool story bro.

As per that title in the link, that Prius is grade G indicating body damage.

The front right B3 requires panel beating and the rear right door B2 and quarter panel W2 show signs of repair work.

In short an accident damaged 2013 Prius with doctored mileage is worth 2 M Kes.

What a great deal!

Lithium-ion battery technology have been around since the 70’s. The only significant improvement has been in energy density (the amount of stored “charge”). Battery life and especially discharge cycles have not.

Irrelevant.

A small modern petrol engine with turbo charging will perform better than a hybrid in city traffic.

On the highway, my 30 year old 5000 cc supercharged petrol beats a hybrid on fuel efficiency. A turbo diesel will do even better.

Yes! Put your emotions aside, if Henry Ford had followed your advice back in 1910 then I’d be riding a donkey right now and not a big petrol powered V8.

TL; DR bland, generic EV is discontinued due to poor sales.

As it currently stands; the Toyota Prius and Nissan Leaf are white goods with limited lifespans and Tesla have been called out for both shitty engineering and creative accounting.

Crude oil is currently selling at 60 USD per barrel and dropping, petrol is the new future!

I believe electric vehicles can take off successfully when built well (especially if the range is long enough). Bolt was shitty from the word go. The only electric vehicles I can trust right now are all Teslas and jaguar i-Pace

Edit:
I meant Volt, Bolt is fully electric and has a bright future. Hybrids are shitty.

Tesla’s are infamous for their poor build quality and odd engineering practices. Don’t get me wrong, their battery technology is world class but their vehicle lineup is mediocre at best.

The I-Pace has decent reviews and the manufacturer’s claimed range is impressive. Like all EV’s fast charging infrastructure is still lacking and the cost of ownership is restrictive.

I think your TL;DR is misleading. A more accurate one is Chevloret has stopped producing hybrids in favour of full electric vehicles and is working on expanding their electric car portfolio.

Yet the Volt did serve a purpose. It led to advances in lithium-ion batteries similar to those that power smart phones and computers. But such advances ultimately led to the Volt’s demise as GM and other manufacturers developed fully electric vehicles that can go 200 more miles per charge.

“While it was a financial loser, it did what was intended,” said retired GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz, who shepherded the Volt into production. “We viewed it as a stepping stone to full electrics, which were totally out of reach due to the then-astronomical cost of lithium-ion batteries.”

GM now has the Chevrolet Bolt, which can go 238 miles on a single charge, and it has promised many more electric vehicles in the future.

That would only be true if the Chevy was intended to be a proof of concept.

All I read in that snippet is corporate double speak.