Electric Vehicles in Nairobi, Kenya

@mister_roboto
Why would I Lie? The evidence is factual and solid.

then they changed, business rates kicked in at 200kwh, thats why I said “pricing might have changed.”

I use real life calculations, this month I loaded 1,000 and got 64.1 units that’s ksh 15.6/- last month mid month I bought 1,000/- worth and got 44.4 units that’s ksh 22.5/-, but Kplc applied to have the subsidy scrapped and everyone pay same amount for units consumed.

Then lets do the diesel Vs Ev cost most guys out here drive big engines consuming diesel the downside is that diesel isnt clean energy as such but it is cheaper according to me let the experts do the math

Prior to December 2013

First 50kWh = 2.00 per unit
50 to 1500kWh = 8.10 per unit
Thereafter 18.57 per unit

Domestic electricity has been based on the 50-1500kWh usage band for quite some time now.

What you might be referring to are the various categories of consumers;

• Lifeline consumers who use less than 50 kWh per month.
  • Domestic consumers who use at least 200 kWh.
  • Industrial or commercial consumers who exceed 1,500 kWh.

These categories(bands) are used to classify users. That’s it.

Your electric bill is still calculated using the 50-1500kWh bands and the categories are NOT factored in anywhere.

APPROVAL OF SCHEDULE OF TARIFFS FOR SUPPLY OF ELECTRICITY (Kenya Gazette 2008) - http://kenyalaw.org/kenya_gazette/gazette/notice/109544

They do not want liability of sumbua customers yet they don’t have direct support in the region. I saw some documentary on Al Jazeera whereby Tesla cars are increasingly gaining popularity in Egypt despite lack of Tesla’s presence in the country. The guys have gone as far as forming a club and even setting up charge stations at select petrol stations using their own funds.

I’m sure you’re talking about EVs released a decade ago but that is not the case right now.

why you this negative though. I hope you not my brother :joy::joy::joy: huyo jamaa anaeza kuangusha roho on every idea unampea.

Yes, Teslas come with home chargers that only need 90 minutes to charge from 0 - 100%. Despite the drought power reliability has improved.

Not speaking about a cellphone battery. Well, my phone is about a year and half now with fast charging always. Battery performance still superb. Most fast charging batteries for phones and laptops have a lifespan of around 3 years. What about a car?

Manufacturing and charing technologies are very different. Last I checked, EVs have a warranty on battery packs of eight years. Eight years!!!

Speaking of which, current EVs are getting past the 250km mark for entry models and 350km mark for midrange models.

But guys, there is an electric version of the MOBIUS ??? Guess Mobius has inspired who with simplicity? 100% EV with a range of 300KM with the entry model. Bollinger

Yeah. This guy sounds very anti-ev. Too ‘bad’ that is the future.

Plus Kenya is one of the best places to have solar panels (2525 sun hours per year). The cost of battery storage is also coming down fast.

Even without solar panels, electricity reliability in urban areas has improved. Blackouts are not as prominent as they used to be.

do you buy tokens? I dont think they update their website according to real life charges. just buy tokens after paying standing charges and tell me if they reflect what you pointed out

You got my point wrong, thats why I said "like a mini industry/ business… " alafu, domestic consumers who use more than 200KWh/month their charges are higher than what kplc says on their website. Its a good thng to provide a primary source as their website but I would advise you to not trust what you see. I emailed them last month about some charges and I have never gotten a response, its like their website is just PR.

Remember when Akothee was complaining about 100k bill a month? thats the complains we were getting from customers when I was there.

Prior to December 2013

I posted that to counter your claim that the ‘business rates kicked in at 200 kWh’ and that it changes often. You need to use more than 1500kWh per month for the ‘business rate’ to kick in.

Current bands are;

DC (Domestic, 240 V)

First 50kWh = 2.50 per unit
50 to 1 500kWh = 12.75 per unit
Thereafter 20.57 per unit

The 50-1500kWh usage bands have been in use for over a decade now with variable rates for the different bands that are amended every year or so. The surcharges are what change monthly.

KPLC rates are dictated by the Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC). The following rates are published in the Kenya Gazette every month. It doesn’t get any official than that.

• Fuel Cost Charge (FCC)
  • Foreign Exchange Rate Fluctuation Adjustment (FERFA)

Breaking news: Consumers who use more than 200kWh/month are charged more than those who use less.

KPLC does not publish the surcharges changes on their website. The Kenya Gazette is where it all happens.

Just because you use more than 200kWH, you are not considered a ‘mini-industry’. Your cost per kWh will be higher because most of your usage is charged at a higher band. It is similar to how taxes work.

If consumer A used 150kWH and Consumer B used 250kWH;

Consumer A will be charged at 19.6 per kWh

• Fixed Charge - 150
  • First 50kWh are charged at 2.50 per unit
  • 100kWH is charged at 12.75 per unit

Consumer B will be charged at 20.79 per kWh

• Fixed Charge - 150
  • First 50kWH are charged at 2.50 per unit
  • 200kWH is charged at 12.75 per unit

There are other surcharges (FCC, FERFA, Inflation Adjustment, ERC Levy etc). Some of these charges change monthly and are charged based on your usage.

TL;DR;

More usage = Higher bill.

You have to use 1500kWh per month for the ‘business rate’ to kick in. There is enough confusion already when it comes to electric bills, 500kWh is still charged at a normal rate.

She was a postpaid user. Just last month, postpaid users got higher bills due to some systematic error according to KPLC. It has been happening for years now.

I would know because I have spent countless hours arguing with KPLC about wrong meter readings.

I have not heard any prepaid user who has been affected by this. The only complain is because most users are not aware of the monthly surcharges, fixed charge or how any of it works.

These days I just send KPLC the meter reading and they update my bill. When the KPLC guy comes over for his bi-annual meter reading, I am in the clear and I have no penalties.

wow, good work with the research… more detailed than even the classes I attended :laughing: Its cool man, we weren’t arguing.

Eish :raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands: nimetii

@Trey Very crystal on the bill charges-eye-opening. This will be crucial to guide a consumer wiling to have an ev charging point at their home.

For this money, which is about 6 million shillings, you can buy a really good petrol sedan or SUV and be left with enough money for service, fuel, insurance, and replacement parts for about 10 years. Have I mentioned better mileage and performance.

Kenyans don’t buy new cars, unfortunately.

When I see a new model advertisement, it is usually a 2013 car. The Nissan Leaf starts at around 3 million shillings.

Most Kenyans wound not spend that kind of money on a NISSAN LEAF.

We ni economist sana actually my long term goal is to spend a maximimum of $250k on a car once i get there i’ll stop at the real deal Urus my friend

i think this topic about electric car trended coz elon musk put a tesla roadster on Space x falcon heavy rocket

**The world fastest car is electric **
actually you cannot talk about electric cars n ignore Tesla company .the company that has show the world that an electric car can beat the gasoline car hands down .i think they are also greatest competitor to google interms of self driving car

last year walitoa the world quickest car at speed of _+455kph kilometer_per hour beating ferrari lamboghrini ni izo super car zingine

Range yake ni 1000km battery ni 200kwh coz most electric car are 50/60kwh battery

pia kwa acceleration iko sawa
0-100kph in 1.9seconds

The unreleased Tesla Roadster 2 is their fastest car. Nobody knows the top speed, 0-400-0 km/h time etc.

It is a bit premature to crown it the fastest car just yet.

What they showcased is the acceleration only.

But in case you have any reputable with any other info other than the acceleration and battery specs, feel free to link to them.

In other news, Porsche is releasing their Mission E car next year. It has been spotted doing road tests (in the company of Teslas).

Prices start at around $75,000. It should be a hit at that price point.

Porsche makes some amazing cars. Looking forward to the Mission E and how they will handle the whole charging stations situation.

That’s quite affordable. If you pool Mshwari, Tala, KCB Mpesa and Branch you should need just a few more dollars and you got it.