Do Telegram Instant Articles have a benefit on Measurable Traffic?

I’ve always wondered whether the merit of Telegram Instant Articles is also the demerit for publishers. They are good in that one does not leave Telegram, and they read the articles wherever they are, but does that traffic get reported anywhere?

Also, sharing of instant articles outside Telegram is a mess because the share buttons are missing, and you’re not in a browser, so even copying the link won’t work.

These are the reasons I’ve not seen much benefit for our site to go instant.

I will conduct this experiment before the end of this month. I will bookmark this post. I have always been eager to know about this too since analytics just records “social” as the source of the traffic. So you don’t know whether that is What’sApp or Telegram.

Jetpack does report Telegram as a source of Traffic, so if you want to know Telegram conversion without instant articles you can get that, what is in question is Telegram with instant articles.

I’ve tried looking too, there are no reports and it’s like no research has been done on this topic…All I know is that it’s more convenient for readers. I’ll continue looking for more answers in the rabbit hole that is the internet…

Currently it doesn’t so you can’t track telegram instant view traffic. It may be introduced in a future update since both facebook instant articles and google amp support it in theirs.

Telegram Instant View is presented as the simpler solution to implement but simplicity might have analytical drawbacks like no tracking code support. I haven’t seen bigger channels use instant articles and a lack of analytics may be the reason.

Facebook’s instant articles allow for GA or some other type of tracking code to be installed to specifically measure traffic. For the moment, I would recommend them as the better option for long-term growth for its ability to track user interaction within articles.

Yes it is, and more importantly, it allows a direct publisher-reader relationship on telegram - you can target and contact a user directly on Telegram with greater ease than let’s say Facebook, def better than your website. There is also less noise on Telegram.

Now that WhatsApp’s API is open to the public, it might be a year or so before widespread adoption of businesses sending updates to users WhatsApp accounts - they’ll probably pay for this feature but given the analytics being added to WhatsApp business, it could be worth it - and when that happens, those who invested in FB before going the telegram way will have an entrenched advantage.

Perhaps, but given how privacy conscious the platform is, building publisher friendly tracking tools might not be compatible with their promise of near anonymity. WhatsApp business is struggling to find this balance, even allegedly considering lowering the app/platforms security features so businesses can better integrate (and benefit) from monetizable features.

Facebook is bigger than Telegram and once mobile payments are integrated, it will render most e-commerce websites obsolete. It’s a good place to start your instant article venture then take those lessons and apply them while waiting for Telegram’s platform to mature.

If Facebook still isn’t appealing - given their scandals and promise to cut the amount of news in favour of user content, how about Flipboard? Sure, it’s not as widely used like FB & Google but it does have some benefits:

• After the Cambridge Analytica incident, Flipboard is more popular with western publishers than Facebook
  • Easy to add items if your site supports RSS
  • Flipboard comes installed as default on some high-end devices e.g. S8+ as part of Bixby Cards
  • You’d associate Techweez with some of the best international news websites out there

If you reached out t them, they’d probably share the estimate numbers on African users to help you make an informed decision.

Facebook Instant Article and Google AMP - Publishers Do You Use It?

I think Facebook’s Instant Articles is just a huge disadvantage to publishers. At least AMP takes people to your site. Instant Article and Telegram’s Instant View blocks that from happening. The bounce rate won’t be that good to you.

Unless your content is very high quality - the likes of which they are willing to pay for every month, better to give readers a better user experience first. Sure this favors facebook ads more than anyone, but I’d rather their ad experience than Google’s + I don’t have to leave the app.

It’s been seen that people who produce consistent quality content AND make it consumable on facebook get rewarded by the system - they get wider reach - so if it’s a monetization strategy you’re worried about - no money from display ads - you might be better off considering licensed content or content-driven commerce.

Exactly, I need visitors browsing around my site to keep that bounce rate low for SEO. Also, I’m into affiliate marketing and the in-app display spoils the user experience.

Not really. AMP pages are cached and served from a Google domain.

Sample domain - https://www.google.com/amp/s/arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/09/nvidia-rtx-2080-and-2080-ti-review-a-tale-of-two-very-expensive-graphics-cards/%3Famp=1

You NEVER leave Google search with AMP pages.

We can go into the details of why Google controlling how pages are served on the internet and making the rules is a disaster waiting to happen but I will leave that for another day.

Bing is now serving AMP pages.

This is the reason we have not joined the AMP bandwagon. The implementation of AMP as it is is threatening identity and control.

Same for Facebook instant articles - cached on FB so you NEVER leave the app. For those still relying on advertiser revenue (yuck) on their sites, you could check article stats and topics with higher readership remain direct links while casual reading moves to instant articles for A/B testing.

I dislike AMP and Google’s favoritism of its own properties even when it’s performance/experience isn’t better than the competition so unless your backend stats show otherwise, I don’t recommend it.

Long-term plan for publishers like Techweez is to figure out how to monetize readership through subscriptions & e-commerce: content-driven commerce which is preferred, or ad-commerce with discounts that give value to all parties.

E.G: If you have 200K returning readers a month, understand their metrics then approach 5-10 businesses that would like to directly reach these readers, negotiate product discounts for people who buy through your links/embedded e-store then write mini-reviews based on each of these. Wrap all this in a lite app with a 10/- per month subscription. The discount is available to everyone regardless of subscription, but those who subscribe get an additional 10% off. Keep adding such content + opportunities and you could grow your revenue independent of advertising, whose returns are less and less each month.

I felt the same way about Instant Articles as I do AMP pages. The only difference, in my opinion, is scale.

With a 90%+ search engine market share, Google can single-handedly shape how we use the internet. You can ignore Instant Articles and your site might not take a hit, Google AMP on the other hand.

I mean, Google already prominently features AMP enabled pages on their mobile news carousels. The next logical step is to extend this to the rest of the search results or factor it into their website ranking algorithm then it is game over for publishers that refuse to support AMP.