Dedicated and shared internet

The difference in price between the two is astonishing. Shared 15mbps is 13,499 and 16mps dedicated is 118,400. This may also explain why your 5 MBPS internet is slow. I wonder how I will explain in layman’s terms the difference between the two to management :joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

wait, which ISP?

1 Like

Most probably Safaricom Business .

1 Like

Both Safaricom and Telkom

1 Like

Now now lets be clear on the metrics. Is it Mbps(Megabit Per Second) or MB/s(Megabyte Per Second)?

I think it’s mbps because that is the metric used to measure speeds by ISPs. In this case, the difference is that one is shared and the other is dedicated.

They usually have a limit. For example, Safaricom once told me that it’s dedicated for up to 20 pcs/devices. That means, each of the PC connected to that dedicated channel receives constant 16mbps for each of the 20 devices and the shared one means they’ve to share the 15mbps for the 20 devices.

I once convinced by boss to choose Zuku over Safaricom because of the budget she had for internet.

Zuku was offering 50mbps @10,000 per month. Safaricom the same dedicated for up to 20 devices but at 1mbps. We had like 6pcs at the workplace. Usitake kujua how we were downloading torrents. You take around 5 minutes and 15 episodes of a season down and at FullHD.

So I told her, all PCs will receive a constant 1mbps in terms of speed on Safaricom’s dedicated package. For zuku, all the 6 pcs do share the 50mbps. That comes down to 8mbps per pc.

Just tell your boss. Shared offers one bus that travels at 15km/h. So the more people enter the bus (more users connected), the slower the bus gets.

But with the dedicated connection, everyone is given a car to use and drive it at 16km/h. When one person wants to use a car, they don’t Uber someone’s car, instead, they’re given one to drive.

However, for optimum speeds, there is a limit of 20 cars to be given out (maximum devices allowed to guarantee dedicated speeds). But still even if they Uber the available cars, the speed won’t be as bad when compared to that of the bus.

Take pen and paper and draw it. Some of these bosses need explanations in diagrams.

2 Likes

This goes to my TIL today :thinking::hugs:. From what I read and understood about contention ratios was for connections to households/companies, X connections would share the medium Y giving the X:Y contention ratios that ensure the the Min speed to be Speed_X / Y for an individual in existing in X’s connection pool during peak hours.

Oooh, I had actually forgotten about it. In shared connections, there’s also a connection ratio that applies. So one connection could be shared with 4 other people like in the case of Safaricom. However, in dedicated connections connection ratios do not apply. At least, that’s what I was told by the Safcom guys.

HAHA I just told them with shared internet they wont be able to download their email and that was enough. Then nikaambiwa ni research on satelite internet nimepata 1mbps dedicated ni 80k pale skynet.

1 Like

Hii ni ya wale wazungu wanaishi ma Laikipia na Nanyuki with humongous ranches.

Never knew such a thing exists. Inakaa ukiwa na pesa unaletewa internet penye uko

VSAT - that thing is damn expensive. But I get it. That VSAT ziko close nakama zile ziko in use in television broadcasting. That’s why they’re that expensive. Check out Liquid Telcom offers - scroll to the bottom

Installation pekee ni 120k, monthly 22K or 35K for 3G-like speeds unlimited

https://office.hai.co.ke/

1 Like

You pay 22 or 35K per month and you are capped @ 30 Gigs? :crazy_face:

3 Likes

I wonder how expensive it is to use satellite. 30GB capped and still speeds are throttled.

Space X’s Starlink and OneWeb internet services taking long to materialize.