Bundle (sms/voice/data) Sharing Across Multiple Lines. Can Networks Do This?

First, forget about hotspot sharing for data. We have networks abroad offering jumbo or sort or family pack bundles where you buy sms/voice/data in large quantities and share it with assigned numbers.

So if you are three people at home or office you buy 1000sms/1000mins/100GB at a certain cost then each one of you gets to use it on different lines. So everyone has access to that jumbo pack regardless of your location.

Can we have that here?

Such a good idea, mostly wishful thinking.

I think It can be possible but CA & Telcos will have to sit like 1 billion meetings in order to agree on that

This is like a special tariff. CA is highly likely to approve it. Airtel and Telkom ought to have done it long time ago to push for network adoption in masses.

In fact, businesses can rely on such bundles. For example, an SME with a team of 10 people who mostly spend time in the field.

I don’t think CA even needs to be involved in this. This is just a technical thing to implement and would be so awesome especially for guys supporting folks and siblings.

Could I steal this and tweet them?

Personally I don’t think will come to be. It may only happen if one of the smaller carriers, kina Telkom and Airtel do it.
Then the rest follow suit.
Reason being, firstly there are services like Sambaza and Me2U among others that are already in place, that kinda achieve the same goal.
Secondly if a carrier decides to do it, it risks affecting its bottom line , based on the fact that not many people finish their sms and minutes quota before they expire (on the normal packages) hence people keep renewing. So one big family pack will save us money but will lose them money.

Please do so

Look at it this way. If they offer one user 1000 minutes @1000 bob, they can decide to offer the same package but at a higher cost @1,500bob to 3 users.

Also such packages usually come with limits. For example, you cannot add 10 people to the 1,500bob package above. So user limits are necessary.

Third, take for example Safaricom. A huge number of people are in Safaricom. Technically, they don’t need such a tariff. But look at smaller players, they need numbers.

It can start with you connecting your Dad and mom to a package of 3 that you pay monthly. Kidogo kidogo they’ll pass the good message to their friends kwa chama or in Church and influence others.

Sambaza and Me2u does not achieve that because that is just like buying airtime and it doesn’t influence non-subscribers to convert.

I didn’t think of it that way… I can now see it working.

This is Kenya :kenya: the telcos are mean doing that will mean a shot at the leg by denying themselves revenue

For these packages to work, the cost of services offered by individual companies would have to be very closely priced. For instance, most packages offered by Verizon, Sprint, and AT&T, have very small deviations in terms of cost, Voice, Data, and SMS allocations.

If you look at Kenya though, the bundles vary quite a lot. To harmonize them would mean making some telcos (Safcon) to give up their insane margins which can only happen in your wildest dreams.

Safaricom already has the numbers so they don’t need at this time. For other telcos, however, it’s a strategy.

Here is the issue and I’ll use the example of my sister. She’s on Safaricom and she hardly buys any bundles. If I’m not around for her to poach on my wifi tethering, good luck receiving a blueticks from her on what’s app.

Not that she can’t afford, she just won’t. Speak of being stingy and yes I have bashed her on several occassions about it. :joy::joy::joy:

However, bundle sharing options would give me an opportunity to share the bundle with her even when I’m not around. Keep in mind bundle sharing has to come at a high cost. As stated here.

It’s all about increasing the average revenue per user and maintaining consistency. Check the example of DSTV in Nigeria. DSTV premium goes for around N15,000 per user but they do have a package where when 3 people team up they can share a Premium subscription for around N6000 (not sure of the exact cost but it’s a bit high). That means they make extra out of it.

However, in Kenya where such a plan is missing, people would rather stream or pay Gotv @750bob yet if DSTV sharing comes to Kenya, I know many people in this forum will jump on the bandwagon and won’t mind to pay a bit higher on a sharing basis to watch premium channels.

So bundle sharing is all about raking in more subscribers and increasing average revenue per user.

For instance, when Telkom 3G was off last week, I had over 2GB that expired like that. Paid around 200bob (100bob day 1 and 100bob day 2 for a total of 4GB) since I couldn’t sambaza, the bundles expired and now I’m just loading 20bob a day on the line from 100bob.

But if sharing was there, I wouldn’t mind paying for the bundles and letting another person to use them where my network seems to suck.

This is consumption that is more or less wasted. A bts that is not being used by call, sms or data traffic costs the network the same amount of money to run. Better to have 70% usage of a cells resources than run at 10% coz cost is not the same.