Building a Computer

So I’m looking to build my own (and first) computer, and was looking for places to buy parts. starcomms and bestsella have been recommended to me (I’ve bought stuff from starcomms so at least I trust them a bit), but the biggest problem is the cost. I would love it if I could get stuff on like amazon because they’re probably cheaper but the cost of bringing them here and tax is too high.
Does anyone have any recommendations/solutions?

Check out Kentex Cargo. They ship stuff from places like Amazon, Bestbuy etc and take care of the tax, so the only costs you incur are the cost of the item and the shipping cost which is around 1500Kes/kg.

What is the computer’s primarily use for? Sometimes it’s better to buy a decent ready-made computer and upgrade it with higher performing components. For instance if you get a computer with a new generation quad-core or higher processor, it’s safe to say that it’ll meet most of your needs with a few upgrades because it’s already has the chipset for it. On my upgrade priority list would be a fast SSD (solid-state hard drive), a dedicated GPU, and finally more RAM in that order. These are upgrades you can import for less than you can buy them locally and shipping isn’t nearly as costly as importing a full PC.

If you have to build your own computer, I must warn you that it will probably cost you quite a bit and it’ll probably be a pain to get all the right components individually because a computer is only as fast as it’s weakest component. Brand name PC’s are good all-rounders because they’ve been designed with optimal components from the ground up. Also don’t buy components from Bestell because they mostly sell generic China-made stuff that doesn’t perform well at all. I’d tell you to hit OLX for component resellers because their stuff is usually much better than Bestell and it’s imported too. It also won’t hurt to go for components being sold by people looking to upgrade.

It’ll primarily be used for graphic design although in the future I might move into 3d possibly. I know I don’t require a beast of a machine but I’m willing to try and get the best I can…also would like to do a bit of gaming.
I actually thought building would be cheaper than buying a ready made machine, it’s just the building that’ll be tricky for a newbie like me.

Why do you want to build your own? Those are very murky waters. The most important thing to note if you should proceed is to keep ALL your options open. And don’t only stick to familiar brands but be open to uncommon names like AMD which might help you knock prices down without the associated performance hit.

Genuinely curious, have you ever built a PC?

If you are building,start with a reasonable base…esp for graphic design purposes, 8GB RAM minimum,i5 processor going up,the latest motherboard if possible even if its intel,a small capacity SSD(256GB) accompanied by like 500GB HDD,a dedicated graphics card is recommended(AMD & NVIDIA) at least 2GB dedicated…then the rest can be added on depending on performance needs.

Building might be more expensive but I think for graphic design/3d/gaming the tradeoff is worth it. Especially now with AMD’s zen, you can start off at a price point you are comfortable and upgrade down the line. There are all sorts of cargo forwarders around, enjoy their lower rates and let them deal with the taxman.

Yes I have assembled multiple PC’s from locally sourced components (the import market wasn’t that great in 2005) so I know a thing or two about making your own PC.

@Makongo_Kiugu I agree with what @Dree_Alexander said but just have a little side note; memory is not the main consideration in a dedicated graphics card. If you are looking to get into 3D you must get a GPU with many stream processors or CUDA cores depending on whether you’re going for AMD or NVIDIA. I’d say 1500 minimum and at least 2GB DDR4 memory. That coupled with a good CPU, SSD, and decent motherboard should do the trick. I also think that the motherboard is more important than @dree gives it credit for because it keeps all the various components working together in sync…

…Bus widths and clock speeds do matter…
…A LOT…

I also concur with @Satoshi and can tell you that if it’s the first computer you’re building, there will be a learning curve to deal with.