Browse @2/- Data Tariff

safaricom

How many of you have used (or currently use) the Browse @2/- internet tariff from Safaricom? Your experience? You can try it out, dial *544# --> 98 for more, select option 12. Quick Links.

It was fast enough, but last time I checked it out I didn’t find it. I think it was scrapped.

It actually still exists. Check under 544 -> 98 for more -> quick links

I didn’t even know that, I was used to the old format interface, thanks

It’s still there, you dial *142#, i still use it sometimes when updating my Windows 10 Mobile preview builds coz apparently Airtel internet scores relatively poor in latency and jitter when connecting to servers outside Kenya. That 2 bob per minute is quite expensive though so even though it’s reliable it’s not a product to enjoy using for more than hour for me :smiley:

Does this mean you get a sort of timed data package that has good speeds or what?

More or less, coz as far as i can tell the product seems to be designed in a way that you surf at maximum speeds but at a steep cost

That makes it Safaricom cyber cafe.

Hahaha yea , Safaricom Cyber :joy:

on 4G at 50+mbps it’s the best when it comes to updating apps, android apps that keep on getting updated on a daily basis. Una update over 1GB leo, kesho unapata 98% require update tena. I use it all the time.

It’s unlimited full speeds. I get to download over 1GB in less than 5 minutes on 4G. This is where I revenge my stolen bundles. Naeka 100bob and do serious damage for those 50 minutes I’m online.

Use it for downloads only. It’s not for browsing. Make sure you are on 4G and download all the stuff you want to.

So I could spend like 200 bob and stream a movie, that’s cheaper than watching on data bundles if you ask me.

It’s good but very tricky to connect, you have to exhaust the other bundles and then make sure that you have been connected to the 2 bob per minute, you might think you are on the 2 bob and find your airtime gone on 4g your 500 goes in seconds

Activate ua data manager and u won’t be able to browse without having data bundles,& this way Ua credit is safe.

So does that mean I can download movies and shit?

Side note: The “reply to this email” thing doesn’t work.

I activated that tariff yesterday. I bought 40 airtime then activated it. I then used it for a short while and I got speeds of about 20Mbps on both upload and download.

So after after about 2 minutes I deactivated the tariff, turned off my data and checked my credit balance which was at 30 bob. This was fine, but later I checked my balance again and it had dropped to 15 bob yet I was not using my phone.
For me the Browse @2 Bob Tariff is good, the only problem is the service provider that offers it.

We’re yet to turn this on, who else wished to have reply by email turned on?

+1. We get email notifications for activity on posts we have submitted. It’d be great to be able to reply from the email message. But there’s a balance to consider here - - if we could reply directly from the email, you’d lose some (potentially a lot) of traffic.

This is true. This happened to me when I had the browse @2bob tariff activated then I switched it off to use WiFi. I think I used WiFi from like 10pm and left my phone hooked up to the same WiFi after chatting online @2am.

In the morning woke up @6am and continued using WiFi. @9am something told me to check my data balance and 10bob was missing. I immediately informed Safaricom on Twitter and they told me that my data was active at MID NIGHT. Like WTF I was still awake at midnight using WiFi and you telling me my data was active?

They told me to check my Selfcare account and for real at midnight I was billed for data that I did not use and I told them there is a problem somewhere. I was so awake at midnight chatting with a friend using WiFi. They told me to prove it that I was awake. I gave them my Orange data billing that shows I was so active from that 10pm to 5am. Problem is, the WiFi was hooked to a different device so they still argued that my phone had data active.

That gave me the valuable insight that Safaricom has a script that runs data on people’s phones. This post just proved it.

Did you try and tell them about it? What I currently do nowadays is activate data manager after I’m done with downloading my stuff to prevent that from happening.