App Based Mass Transit Solutions coming up in 2019,Your thoughts?

I am glad you agree it can work,now the great key ingredient we have is technology i.e smartphone apps.Ticket resides in the app on the phone.I am hoping not to wait for the shuttle bus tomorrow,i am also hoping to meet fellow swvlers and interact with the driver/swvl team personnel if present…i really do want their pilot to succeed coz it will just change my daily commute for the better.

New Routes coming up soon,Ruiru route already active…They got a promo code out for a free first ride…“karibu”…install,sign up and try them out…

Kenyatta University CBD is Nairobi town?

Yep,its Hapo Kenyatta University Campus along haile selassie avenue near Agip…i think thats their CBD pickup/dropoff point

I rode Amtrak last month, all they need is a QR code which they scan while checking tickets. No need for paper tickets.

Nimeambiwa next trip available in my location is 8.55am, I could consider it.

Same could apply here…

try it out and give us feedback…of course due to traffic and other factors,some delay can be expected just like the way it works on Uber locally but i think its the same

Little Shuttle aint far off and CIO africa have noted the trend based on their new article posted yesterday…https://www.cio.co.ke/mass-transport-apps-to-take-kenya-by-storm-in-2019/

My daily commute in this city has been so frustrating this last year that its gotten to a point where i just want this to work.

My trip is expected from 10am. Price is 150 bob to town, which is offpeak time that should get me a 50 bob fare. But we shall see.

have you added the promo code “Karibu” to get a free ride worth Ksh 150 bob btw? Either way…lets see how the experience is…Keep us updated,i have booked an evening trip from CBD so i am eager to know how it works

Here are my findings, I’ll add anything I missed below:

• I did add the promo code, so my trip was free.
  • The driver asked me which area I’d like to be dropped, and he dropped me on Koinange street.
  • He arrived at the time the app said he would, dropped me at the same time it said he would.
  • The bus is a Coaster, the tourist types.
  • Soon as he nears a stop, he pings the app to query if there is a passenger.
  • Then passes the stop if there is none.
  • Speed is 60Kph average
  • They launched 5 days ago, and driver tells me he’s been doing empty trips, but will get paid anyway, so he’s okay.
  • They have 5 buses on Thika road.

Well,it makes sense considering they have done no advertising so far,they havent even officially launched.I understand they are in the midst of preparing to launch esp considering one of my friends who did an ad for them is mum about them citing NDA’s…Once they launch,the buses will fill up slowly…Hmmm Toyota Coaster,sounds comfortable…The stop thing sounds efficient,the speed feels a bit acceptable,5 days ago…hmmmm well i guess thats interesting…5 buses is a good start,then they can scale up over time…

they need to find a way to target the uber/taxify users in their advertising,those are the most likely ones to pick up the service faster

I would have tried it out tomorrow - Saturday but at the moment it seems they are only operating on weekdays …

I hope they get feedback specifically on the way I(people) make trips. For an #uber/#taxify it’s fine for a choose a destination from your current location but for a mass transit I don’t think so.

I have not seen an indication that the search bar “where to” gives you narrowed-down/focused list of specific available trips from the current area you are in.

I do hope that’s the behaviour of the app’s interaction.

I might be wrong …Somebody clarify if it’s not the case.

So My trip went well,My findings are:

1.Yep,its toyota coaster everyone and a bunch of them
2.Swvl team chose the buses themselves
3.They are planning to launch Monday this coming week
4.The payment module needs work
5.The app is a bit buggy
6.Customer support is great but still needs work in resolving issues faster
7.Swvl are using a tour bus services company to run the initial pilot

Update: the Karibu promo code is available for use for the whole week.

thanks Martin,i guess my transport for the whole week is sorted out.I think now is the time they start onboarding and doing the actual testing of the logistics n stuff.