A Kenyan company, SILK Mobile, has released a smartphone in the market. Tell us what you think about it

SILK Mobile [see details here] is a new mobile phone brand by a Kenyan company, SILK. The company makes feature phones and smartphones. At least that is what we know so far. Other devices include portable chargers/powerbanks and Bluetooth speakers. We’ve had with us the Patriot 55, its first smartphone.

Here are specifications of the device:

• 5.5-inch qHD (540 x 960 pixels)
  • Snapdragon 400 processor
  • 4 GB internal storage (expandable via microSD card)
  • 1 GB RAM
  • 8 MP main camera; 2 MP front-facing camera
  • Android 4.4 KitKat
  • 2,150 mAh battery
  • 3G, 4G LTE
  • Bluetooth, Wi-Fi
  • Dual-SIM

The design, as you can see from the photo above is quite nice though the device is a bit bulky. It is all-plastic. The user interface is quite dated (it is a mashup of Holo and a Froyo-esque theme) Android and several apps that are bundled are not ready. The internal storage is quite limited though they compensate for this by giving you a free 8 GB memory card. Then there’s the elephant in the room: the price. The phone goes for Kshs 25,000.

This is one of the first smartphones designed by a Kenyan company and we would definitely love to see more from them.

Here are some screenshots so that you can see up close the UI

Deal or no deal? What can be done better?

25k with those specs and bulky as you said? No deal. The only thing they can do better is being in 2016 where good smartphones became cheap and cheap ones got really good.

No deal! That UI needs more eye candy for me to spend 25k. Tecno phones at 10k have surprisingly pretty UI’s to interact with. Even though that said, Kudos to them getting a product out and we look forward to more of their products! Impressive effort.

25k is very high so no deal. The design looks good but that is all. At least they should have tried to keep up with other manufacturers. People already have more than enough options so if you give them a phone with some 2013/14 specs in 2016, there is something seriously wrong. And again, they don’t have a name yet so that makes it even harder for them. What is needed is a complete overhaul of this phone.

Can it compete with the infinix note 2? :wink:

Nop! It has mountains to climb and rivers full of crocodiles to cross. An Infinix is like an iPhone when pitted against it.

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

Nice initiative but for that amount of money it is an eye sore. You have to remember I am not going to buy your commodity just because you are a Kenyan company but because you bring something to the table

What you said! Spot on.

I agree with sentiments above. Business (read capitalism) and patriotism or any other emotions that prejudice one’s good judgment don’t sit well together. If device is crap, it remains so, Kenyan or not.

Me personally I have the SILK phone… Where do we do Screen replacement coz Am from Mombasa and All phones have there screens in market incase of Accidents… what of Silk … They should really do something coz there will be no need of Having a comodity with no doors of Consultation …

How is your device holding up? Any lags?Any updates?

That resolution is just a no, the plastic buid at this price point is a joke, maybe they should start at 5,000

a 6,000bob phone for 25,000?